I love Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, but sometimes I long for something homemade. I tried several different recipes and ended up condensing several into this finished product. I love it tremendously.
You can substitute different cheeses into it if you’re daring. I haven’t tried many different ones, but I’ve heard gouda is nice. That might be the next one I try. You also need to be able to make a roux without burning it – this takes practice sometimes. If it’s not fully cooked, you’ll taste the flour in the finished product.
This is quick and easy otherwise.
Scrumptious Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb box of pasta of your choice
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 c milk
- 2 c sharp cheddar cheese
- salt pinch or to taste
- garlic powder pinch or to taste
- pepper pinch or to taste
- 1/8 t nutmeg
Cook pasta as directed on package.
While pasta is cooking, prepare roux. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, adding flour once melted. Cook for 1 minute, or until a nice golden brown.
Add the evaporated milk and other milk. Stir often until the mixture thickens and coats the spoon, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add spices.
After a minute, add the cheese and stir until creamy.
Add the sauce to your pasta and serve.
- Yes, nutmeg. It adds a level flavor to the cheese sauce.
- Some people also add a dash of dry mustard powder, but I've never tried this.
- You can also leave the sauce over heat to add in the cheese, but be very careful of scalding the sauce.